"A Swisstastic Journey of Me and My Students"

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Finding our S.O.L.E......the 1st one of the year! Does the Curse of Bodie really exists?

So I introduced our first S.O.L.E. (Self Organized Learning Environment) to our 6th graders this past week.  The only expectations for these quick research projects are the following:

1.)  No more than 4 in a group
2.)  If someone asks to join your group and you don't already have 4 members then you must let them join
3.)  You can't work alone
4.)  WORK HARD
5.)  Listen to everyone
6.)  Support your opinion with RESEARCH
7.)  You must CITE your pictures

I wanted to tie our first S.O.L.E. our upcoming Fall Parade or in a former time called Halloween celebration.  I recently read a great nonfiction book called BODIE:  The Town that Belongs to Ghosts by Kevin Blake.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61aXK0of07L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So I introduced this book to the kids by reading the first chapter.  We then viewed some images from the deserted town of Bodie.  I then shared the Google Slideshow below with them that presents the question to them.  






I was blown away by some of the presentations.  REMEMBER I don't give any guidance on to what type of project they have to share other than it can't be longer than 5 minutes and they must cite pictures if they use them.  Here are some of the early projects.



No comments:

Post a Comment