"A Swisstastic Journey of Me and My Students"

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Missing in Action....

Week 1 #GRA15 (Global Read Aloud)

 Now that I have your at attention I am really not missing in action but I have been absent from my blog for awhile due to juggling some many plates at school and getting my feet completely emerged into the Global Read Aloud project with my 1st and 2nd graders.  
    

  
After we read Chopsticks, listened to the Chopsticks song on Youtube, watched a video on how to use chopsticks we practiced  I gave the students four rules before we practiced using the chopsticks.  They were
1.)  You can't use 2 hands
2.)  You can loop the Cheerios..you had to pick them up
3.)  You can't pick the Cheerios up with your hands
4.)  You can't get frustrated, which many of them did.

Here is what it looked like:  



My students loved the book Chopsticks by Amy Krouse Rosenthal.  They loved the play on words that she used to capture the attention of readers.  Here is a Padlet that we used to collaborate with our friends in Colorado.  My 2nd graders are working with a school in Illinois.  The one thing I need to work out is the time issue.  By this I mean that due to many of the collaborating schools being on different time zones it made it hard to collaborate in real time.  Therefore, students didn't always see what their partner school had to say about the book.  



On to Week 2:

      This week we will be reading Duck!Rabbit! by Amy Krouse Rosenthal.  I practiced reading with my kiddos at home and they loved it.  I snapped this shot of them showing their excitment.  (So hard to get a pic of 3 youngsters looking happy all at once...you moms out there know what I am talking about.)

We are hoping to get some Mystery Skypes in with our partner schools this week.  The time zone difference really causes scheduling nighmares.




We did a variety of activities this week to make our presence know in the GLOBAL world.  This included Skyping with our friends in Maine and New York.  We learned a little bit about Twitter and what it means to "Tweet" and we sent out a tweet with our official vote on rather we think it is a rabbit or duck.  We also entered our opinions on if it is a DUCK or RABBIT on the official poll.  

Is it a duck or a rabbit?

Let us know! We will map your answers by the end of the week.

    Class name

    Class location?

    How many thinks it's a duck?

    How many thinks it's a rabbit?


No comments:

Post a Comment